Re: Validator problem?

Hello Andreas, Alexander, all.

On May 18, 2007, at 23:34 , Andreas Prilop wrote:
> Here is a small demonstration:
>
> http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp/offset.html

Different versions of the validator are rather likely to display
different behaviour here, mostly because issues have been fixed
little by little. I suggest we mostly look at the latest CVS code,
which can be tested at:
http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/

The strange thing about this is that  the instance on qa-dev.w3.org
will say:
  Line 10, Column 8: end tag for element "H1" which is not open.
(where there is nothing in column 8, only whitespace)
http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unics.uni-
hannover.de%2Fnhtcapri%2Ftemp%2Foffset.html

Whereas, with the exact same validator code, the instance on my
laptop computer will say:
Line 10, Column 31: end tag for element "H1" which is not open.
column 31 is either the 1 of the h1 or the angle bracket, depending
on whether you count from 0 or 1.
(the validator highlights the angle bracket)

This seems to show that there is nothing wrong with the validator
code itself, but somewhere, either in the library used to transcode
content to perl's internal unicode format, or in the parser,
something wrong is happening.

I suspect the problem comes from the difference in the version of the
Encode [1] module, which on qa-dev and most debian servers will be
2.12, whereas the CPAN version my laptop has is > 2.20

Upgrading the Encode library by hand may solve the issue. I'll look
into it.

Thanks
--
olivier Thereaux - W3C - http://www.w3.org/People/olivier/