RE: Upload of HTML or CSS code programatically

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 09:31:40 +0100
To: "'Harry Hopp'" <harryhopp1@gmx.net>, <www-validator@w3.org>

From: Harry Hopp

> I am writing an HTML/CSS editor under Windows and I would like to
> incorporate a feature to enable the user to upload the HTML or CSS
> code in the editor window to the W3C Validator. I have seen that
> other editors do this. Could you please tell me what the command
> line should look like in order to upload a file containing HTML
> or CSS code for validation?

The Markup Validator is designed to operate over HTTP, not directly
from the command line. Any command line used to access it would run
a program that issued an HTTP request (and there many possible options
here, including Curl and most programming languages have HTTP libraries
available for them, Perl even has WebService::Validator::HTML::W3C).
The command line you use would depend on the software you are using
to make the HTTP request.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/