Re: charset=us-ascii mandatory?

From: Andreas Prilop <AndreasPrilop2007@trashmail.net>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 18:11:44 +0200 (MEST)
To: www-validator@w3.org

On Mon, 7 May 2007, Jukka K. Korpela  wrote:

> I think that for nominally SGML-based validation, a warning should be
> issued if the encoding not specified either in HTTP headers or in a meta
> tag, and validation should be carried out assuming the windows-1252
> encoding, since this covers the most common cases. You might in that case
> issue a warning about any octet in the 80..9F range, or perhaps even about
> any octet not in the ASCII range. The practical reason is that the
> rendering of the page _will_ vary by browser settings, since browsers will
> often use the encoding that was _last_ selected, and this might be just
> about anything.

But I didn't mean any special, non-ASCII characters.
I specifically mean (HTML 4) documents with only US-ASCII characters.

I'm well aware of discussions whether ISO-8859-1 should be taken
as default charset for HTML 4 or for HTTP or for both or for none.

If I'm not mistaken, it is still correct to send e-mail in US-ASCII
without any MIME header and charset declaration.
How is that with HTML 4?