Re: Is the id-attribute not validated correctly?

From: Johannes Athmer <athmer@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:27:46 +0100
To: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
2007/3/19, Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Johannes Athmer wrote:
>
> > when I tried to validate my page in the Total Validator[1], it gave me
> > their error code E622 on invalid id-attributes like the ASP.NET
> > "__VIEWSTATE".
>
> I had not heard of Total Validator previously, I think, but it looks like
> an interesting effort at a combined checker. As far as I know, it is not
> affiliated with the W3C Markup Validator or the W3C in general.

I know it's not directly connected to the W3C, I just wanted to give
it as an example where the document validates differently to the W3C
Markup Validator. :)

[…]
> I guess the other developers are using XHTML, where an "_" is allowed as
> the first character of an identifier, by XML rules. It's not recommended
> for compatibility reasons, see C.8 Fragment Identifiers in Appendix C,
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#C_8
> (which is confusing, really, but it's a place where this difference
> between HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 is explained). But it's definitely valid.

Okay, this is confusing for sure. But as it seems the W3C is really
correct here, I'll drop a note to the Total Validator developers.

--
-Johannes