Is the id-attribute not validated correctly?

From: Johannes Athmer <athmer@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:38:08 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org

Hi,

when I tried to validate my page in the Total Validator[1], it gave me
their error code E622 on invalid id-attributes like the ASP.NET
"__VIEWSTATE". However, when I searched the net for other developers
having problems with validating ASP.NET pages, they said that they
validate. And they do validate with the W3C validator.
But, if I'm not much mistaken, the example id given above should be
regarded as invalid (XHTML 1.1 in my case) as it starts with two
underscores instead of a-z/A-Z.
Is this a known issue with the validator? I really wonder whether it
is, because I think it gives ASP.NET webdevelopers the incorrect
feeling of producing valid markup.

-Johannes
[1] http://www.totalvalidator.com/