Re: Software error when validating URL with '+' signs

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 20:17:12 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org

MiSsInGnO wrote:
> When trying to validate an URL with '+' signs in it,
> I get the following error:
>   Software error:
> For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([no address given]
> <mailto:%5Bno%20address%20given%5D>), giving this error message
> and the time and date of the error.

Apparently a double fault on the side of validator.w3.org, it has
issues with the C++ in your URL, and the mailto doesn't help.

> The URL I was trying to validate was:
> http://missingno.ifrance.com/C++.php
> I was unable to reproduce this bug using a local copy of the
> validator (v 0.7.2)

I tried to bypass this validator bug by replacing C%2B%2B by C++
and got a slightly more convincing error page:

| Sorry! This document can not be checked.

| I got the following unexpected response when trying to retrieve
| <http://missingno.ifrance.com/C%20%20.php>:

|    404 Not Found

For unknown reason C++ ended up as C%20%20.  Really odd, why does
the validator try to percent-escape an ordinary "+" in the query,
and while it does this why doesn't it work as expected, and last
but not least, why does it munge C++ into C%20%20 ?