Help Wanted - better wording for a new warning message (mime type/doctype clash)

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 16:34:13 +0900
To: www-validator Community <www-validator@w3.org>

I've implemented today a little routine checking that a document is
served in a media type relevant to the document type detected. I
would appreciate your help in making the error message a little less
awkward than it is now.

The message currently goes:
     * Incorrect Media Type for the Document Type used

       The document is being served as media type application/xhtml
+xml, which is not a registered media type for the document type HTML

       You should be using a media type such as text/html. Note that
using a wrong media type for a certain document type may make the
validator and other user agents get confused about the nature of the
document, and you may get some erroneous validation errors.

Suggestions welcome. Also, ideas of links on how to set up servers
or .htaccess properly to serve documents with the proper mime type
would be appreciated.

olivier Thereaux - W3C - http://www.w3.org/People/olivier/
W3C Open Source Software: http://www.w3.org/Status