DOCTYPE vs. doctype

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:26:29 +0300 (EEST)
To: Sined <nightsbird@gmail.com>
cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007, Sined wrote:

> The doctype in my (X)HTML documents is written in lowercase (but not the
> formal public identifier) :

That's a syntax error, since by XML rules, the string DOCTYPE must appear
in uppercase.

> At <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2002Nov/0099.html>,
> that?s written that we get that error because of the SGML rules.

I think you somewhat misunderstood the discussion - which was rather
confusing. But the situation is rather simple: in SGML, the string
DOCTYPE is case insensitive, in XML, it is case sensitive.

> Now the question is : Must I write the doctype in uppercase or not?

If you use XHTML, you must.