Problem with XHTML validator and link checker?

From: David Arnold <davida@umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:42:12 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org

We've been using the XHTML validator and link checker for years, and
this week we've run into a couple of issues.  First, it reported we had
to update the <html> tag in our docs, which I did.  After that, things
seemed to validate fine.

Now when we try to run the link check, it returns a page of HTML code
prefixed with:

  fetched in 1.6s

If I copy/paste the HTML code into a file and view it, it looks ok, but
at the end after the 'Results' section it coughs up an "Internal Server
Error" error.  This is coded into the HTML returned, not from our web
server.

Oddly enough, sometimes it returns the link check page properly formatted,
with no server error.  It seems to be random/sporadic.  Could this have
some relation to the perlmod bug discussed on the list yesterday and
reported resolved by olivier Thereaux?

Let me know if you need to see the HTML text returned; I've saved it for
now.

Thanks,
David Arnold  <davida@umd.edu>
Webmaster, Knowledge Management