Re: validator error: considers "&c=" as html entity when not(?)

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:40:04 +0100
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Sanjay Chellapilla <sanjayc@ksu.edu>

On 17 Jul 2007, at 02:13, Sanjay Chellapilla wrote:
> I'm writing to ask about the W3C HTML Validator error
> in classifying the following URL as invalid since it contains
> a key "c" with a value consisting of "=" characters,
> in a GET request. The URL is:
> http://mailhide.recaptcha.net/d?
> k=0144KkHhqYi5eqAOnsUshuOg==&c=9bFP_BxDd-
> edCpRQmjqwnKmdksWCXUXAeCGJbrNw-P4=

Because, as the error message explains, and points to a FAQ which
also explains, and specifically mentions in bold text that URLs are
not an exception to the rule: A URL that is written in an HTML
document must use HTML syntax to represent characters which have
special meaning in HTML (such as &). And it tells you the fix, which
is to use to use the entity for & - &amp;.

David Dorward