Re: web service API returning HTML rather than SOAP 1.2

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 07:40:07 +0900
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>
To: Lori Hylan-Cho <lorihc@adobe.com>

Hello Lori,

On Jul 10, 2007, at 02:08 , Lori Hylan-Cho wrote:
> var docContents = document.documentElement.outerHTML; /* gets entire
> document source, including !DOCTYPE statement */
> var result = httpPostText("http://validator.w3.org/check",
> "fragment=" +
> encodeURIComponent(docContents) +"&output=soap12");

This looks reasonable

> In the above case, I get a SOAP reply. However, if I substitute a URL
> instead of raw HTML, as shown below...
> var docContents = "http://www.avocado8.com/index.shtml";
> var result = httpPostText("http://validator.w3.org/check", "uri=" +
> encodeURIComponent(docContents) +"&output=soap12");

I am far from being a javascript expert, but shouldn't it be
encodeURIComponent(location.href) ? It looks like you're sending the
whole content of the page as a URI parameter, which possibly trips up
the validator.

> I always get an HTML reply. I've tried encoding the & in front of the
> output argument, but the results are the same. Is there something
> else I
> should be doing? Have I misunderstood something major?

If the fix suggested above does not have any effect, could you test
your code on the following instance of the validator?
It is our lastest development version, and it includes a number of
recent bug fixes to the API.

Thank you.