Amazon Associates provided code doesn't validate

From: Barry Harmon <johnfrum@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 20:40:59 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hello,

I was accepted into Amazon Associates.  I put their code into one of my markup pages as a test, www.artisan-bread-ring.info, and got 27 errors from their code.

My code had previously passed validation, even though it is in the development stages.

I emailed Amazon and they said that "validation is tough" and that I had placed the code properly.

My question is:  Since Amazon isn't going to change their code, and since *my* code passed validation, what is the status of my use of the W3C validation icon?  I guess it comes down to a question of should I be penalized because of Amazon?

I would like to display the icon, because I am proud of having taken the time and effort to validate every page I post on the web (or I will -- I haven't gotten to several legacy pages, but I will.), over 400 in all, and growing every day.

Howevere, since the markup page doesn't pass validation, what's should I do?  I want to do what is proper, but I'm in a quandry.  I'll accept whatever you decide is the proper course of action.

Thanks,

Barry Harmon
johnfrum@optonline.net