Re: XHTML parser has long delay

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 08:26:55 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: J David Eisenberg <catcode@catcode.com>

Hello David,

On Jul 6, 2007, at 05:20 , J David Eisenberg wrote:
> I set up the validator on my local machine, and it was hanging for
> minutes
> at a time while trying to parse XHTML.

Very likely trying to retrieve entities, and struggling to connect to
www.w3.org, probably hitting the protection mechanisms and receiving

> I made the following change near line 615 of file "check" to use local
> copies of the DTD when parsing XHTML. Would this be a reasonable
> thing to
> add to the production version of the validator?

Actually... a similar patch to what you suggest was added to the
validator's codebase a month ago :)
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/httpd/cgi-bin/check.diff?
r1=1.525&r2=1.526&f=h

Thanks for the confirmation that it is a good idea to add this
mechanism. The two patches are indeed slightly different, but, I
think, have the same effect.

Regards,
--
olivier