[VE][108] Namespace declarations invalid?

From: Drake Wilson <drake@begriffli.ch>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 00:28:32 -0600
To: www-validator@w3.org
Small test case:

"""
<?xml version="1.0"?>
"""

(Without the triple double quotes, of course.)

This doesn't pass, because the validator claims there is no xmlns:foo
attribute.  I thought XHTML documents were supposed to be XML
documents, and as such could have namespace declarations of that sort
in them with no problem.  Is that not the case?  I searched the Web
and the list archives, but couldn't find anything authoritative on the
topic.

   ---> Drake Wilson