Re: W3C HTML validator is broken

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:43:04 +0000
To: bkml <atoz0to9@fastmail.fm>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 06:55:58PM +0900, bkml wrote:

> If line 1 of the comment exceeds 110 dashes, the validator reports
> the 111th dash as an error.

You didn't state what error you were getting, but I can't get the
validator to anything that I find unexpected. However, dealing with
dashes inside comments is a pain, I suggest taking the advice of the
specification:

    "Authors should avoid putting two or more adjacent hyphens inside
     comments."

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2.4

> What's weirder than that is the fact that the closing line (line 3)
> has to have exactly the same number of dashes as the opening line or
> else the validator reports an error in whichever line follows.

I can't reproduce this. My tests show it just has to close an opened
comment. So <!------ foo --> is valid (but <!------ foo ----> never
closes the final comment).