Re: Some bug report on markup-validator

> David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> Does this mean the "--" sequence cannot exist inside comments?
>
> Yes.

Well, I already hated the comment format used in HTML, but now I have a
brand new reason. :P

> Take it up with the people who designed SGML
> (which is now over 20 years old).

Is the fact that something is 20 (or 40, or 100) years old supposed to say
anything about its quality? I can certainly think about a lot of
20-year-old standards that are terrible, as well as others that are great.
Making such a common character sequence (--), which is often used as an
ASCII alternative to a "long dash", illegal inside comments definitely
doesn't help.

If I ever come across Goldfarb, I'll be sure to slap him. ;)

RMN
~~~