Re: [VE][64] Validator parses <.....> inside <script></script> need advise

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 02:19:00AM +0100, Jesper wrote:

> Thank you for the fast reply, I was aware of the  <![CDATA[/*> code as
> it is mentioned on W3's page here http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.8 but
> this doesn't work, when I add it then the code is hidden from the page,
> and hence useless :)

It does in XHTML. In XHTML as HTML it has added complications, hence
the Appendix C and Hixie comments.

> I usually avoid javascripts unless they are 100% required, and I know
> that DynamicDrive isn't the best source, but it was the only I could
> find that worked with both MSIE and Firefox, and as my self, I tend to
> forget stuff easily, which is why the bookmark reminder is there :P

TBH, I find webpages that suggest I bookmark them rather obnoxious,
especially when they provide a replacement for the function built into
the browser which doesn't work (and the script you are using only
works properly in MSIE).

> After reading the section you pointed me to at
> http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml I learned that Scripts that use
> document.write() will not work in XHTML contexts.  (You have to use DOM
> Core methods.), I never heard of that, can it really be true

Yes (in browser implementations at least, there isn't anything to stop
browsers supporting document.write in XHTML, but it adds the
complication of having to pass it through the XML parser, run the
document.write scripts, then pass the resulting code through the XML
parser again).

> and do you know of the Dom Core method?

createElement / createTextNode / appendChild / insertBefore / etc

http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Core-20001113/

You said:

> >>  <noscript><p class="xsyc">Javascript is disabled in your browser, Press
> >>CTRL+D to bookmark this site now!</p></noscript>

In the browser I was using at the time, Ctrl+D is the keyboard
shortcut to download a file. (In another browser I use, I would get
that message, but JavaScript would not be disabled - the browser
doesn't support JavaScript at all).