Re: Validation of apostrophe

Jukka,

On Feb 15, 2007, at 04:04 , Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>> However, if the page is validated using the Direct
>> Input facility it does validate.
>>
>> Is this an error in the way the Direct Input facility works?
>
> I'd say so. The problem is that the Direct Input facility is on a
> UTF-8 encoded page, and when you e.g. cut and past your document
> there, your browser converts the representation of characters into
> UTF-8
[...]
> Then the validator somehow fails to pay attention to the ISO-8859-1
> encoding declared in the <meta> tag.

I don't follow your logic here. As you mention, the browser is
performing the transcoding, so the data is utf-8, and the validator
treats is as utf-8, correctly. Because of the transcoding, the
charset information in the meta tag becomes completely irrelevant:
the validator should not "pay attention" to it.

--
olivier