What is the valid DTD for <a href?

From: Chris H <w3c@internethell.NET>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 17:03:02 -0800
To: "[www-validator-list]" <www-validator@w3.org>

  I am having no end of difficulty with a fresh install of the
www-validator v.0.74. First I discover that inspite of it's
claim to validate remote https streame (via the protocols tag
in the validator.conf file) it doesn't, but now I discover that
valid and working links in documents via the &lt;a href= string
cause the validator no end of grief, and me, no end of frustration.
Whew. OK. Here's the deal. Can anyone tell me why the following and
long been working link is invalid?

It's worked for years and works now. But for reasons that are
completely beyond my comprehension - according to the validator -
is a completely invalid link. DTD is 4.01 transitional.

Thank you for all your time and consideration.

Chris H.

H.R. Communications Internet messaging service.
Please report any abuse of this system to postmaster,
or better, abuse at the domain of the offending sender.