Re: "character data is not allowed here" problem with Unicode Chinese

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:12:28 +0100
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Allan Dyer <adyer@yuikee.com.hk>

On Feb 7, 2007, at 06:29 , Allan Dyer wrote:
> It might be coincidence, but the byte count to the position where the
> highlighted character is is the same as the character count to the
> '>'. Perhaps
> the highlighting routine doesn't know how to count Unicode characters?

Yes, I think you're right. I just tested, and noticed the bug is
present in the latest release (0.7.4) of the validator and on the
validator.w3.org service, but it has been fixed in our development
service.

Compare:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fqa-dev.w3.org%2Fwmvs%
2FHEAD%2Fdev%2Ftests%2Finvalid_meta_multibyte.html

with

http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fqa-dev.w3.org%
2Fwmvs%2FHEAD%2Fdev%2Ftests%2Finvalid_meta_multibyte.html

Note also, in the latter, the updated error message explanation,
mentioning the possible presence of xhtml-style syntax in html.
Suggested improvements for the wording are welcome.

--
olivier