Re: Support for compressed (gz) files?

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 21:26:50 +0200
To: "www-validator" <www-validator@w3.org>

On Monday 05 February 2007 18:37, you wrote:
> It seems the validator cannot cope with compressed files (*.html.gz).
> Is it possible to add support for compressed files?

It should, through the underlying libwww-perl library.  libwww-perl sends the
TE header instead of Accept-Encoding though, so the server serving those
compressed documents needs to support it.

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.39

On the other hand, based on a quick test, it looks like not all public
Validator servers send the TE header, I'll send some mails to ask if
something can be done about it.