Re: some things that w3c validator could warn/complain about (mostly XHTML interoperability issues)

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 09:26:29 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Christian Steinert <christian_steinert@web.de>

Hi Christian,

On 8 nov. 07, at 00:02, Christian Steinert wrote:
> - empty class="" attribute does not seem to be allowed, but is not
> reported by the validator

Empty class attribute wouldn't make sense, but I don't see any clear
mention, either in the prose or in the machine-readable schemas that
would make that forbidden. Do you have a reference stating that it
would not be allowed.

> - HTML-comments inside of CSS and script tags are legal XHTML, but
> will cause content to be ignored by XHTML-conformant browsers

I don't really see what's the problem with that. Could you give
details or examples?

> - tags with non-empty content model in HTML4 should be closed
> explicitly in XHTML to ensure interoperability; the validator could
> warn in such situations when validating XHTML

That's the job for the HTML compatibility checker, which is yet to be
integrated into the validator indeed. I'd love to get some help on
this. Anyone interested?

> - named HTML entities like &copy; are legal in XHTML when
> specifiying a DTD, but a non-validating browser is free to ignore
> the DTD and thus not know them; thus when using named entities
> except &gt; / &lt; / &quote; / &amp; in XHTML, the validator should
> warn

True, named entities can be an issue in an XML toolset. I'm wondering
how we could make such warnings useful and not confusing. Quite
frankly, I can imagine some XHTML authors, simply authoring for
browser consumption, being very puzzled if given a warning about
perfectly legit entities...

Regards,
--
olivier