Re: non-real errors

Hi Thomas,

On Aug 30, 2007, at 06:11 , Thomas Dickens wrote:
> Checking my site http://www.koolance.com/default.php resulted in
> several errors caused by the same syntax.
>
> Line 28, Column 22: XML Parsing Error: attributes construct error.
>
>      <li class="link" onclick="navClick('/product_wizard/')"><a
> href="http://www
>
> I am using XHTML 1.0 Strict (http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-
> strict.dtd). As you can see the validator thinks that li does not
> allow the attribute onclick.

That's not what the validator says. It says "attribute construct
error", not "there is no attribute onclick". The actual error in your
document, is that the two attributes are missing a space between them.

<li class="link"onclick="navClick('/product_wizard/')"><a href="http://
... repeated for all the <li>s.

Just "show source" and you will see.

> The firefox validator plug in, and the two validators that you list
> on your site to also try report that there are no errors or
> warnings of any kind.

These other tools have a bug, then. It's common for SGML tools
without a certain command of XML rules to miss this error. The W3C's
markup validator had this bug for a long time, too.

> It would be nice to be able to put the valid XHTML image/link when
> I am done with the site redesign. It just isn't possible to do with
> your validator being broken.

«Nothing wrong with the validator here, it just knows (X)HTML better
than you do. »
:)

Regards,
--