Validator misbehavior on HTML sent as XHTML

From: Nikita The Spider The Spider <nikitathespider@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 09:55:00 -0400
To: "www-validator Community" <www-validator@w3.org>

Hi all,
I've been running a few edge cases through the validator and I've come
across one that the validator doesn't like. The document in question
is a short, valid HTML 4.01 Strict document that gives the validator
fits when I send it with a media type of application/xhtml+xml.
Specifically, the validator reports "Validation Output: 6 Errors" and
then proceeds to report hundreds of errors on lines that don't exist
in the document.

The document in question is here:
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/boneyard/temp/070808/nonsense.xhtml

And here's the validation URL for it:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fnikitathespider.com%2Fboneyard%2Ftemp%2F070808%2Fnonsense.xhtml&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&ss=1&group=0

I realize that sending HTML as application/xhtml+xml is a nonsensical
thing to do and the validator is right to tell me that ("Contradictory
Parse Modes Detected!") but the actual output is clearly the result of
parsing something other than my document.

Cheers
--
Philip
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/