Re: (Non-)Support for XML 1.1

From: <invalid@csc.jp>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 16:04:35 +0900
To: www-validator@w3.org

Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

> Actually I suspect the results you see are because the document is *NOT*
> a valid XML 1.1 document. It has no DOCTYPE and cannot be valid, even if
> it is well-formed.

Unfortunately, that's not the case.  The Validator first said "No DOCTYPE found!
Checking XML syntax only." and then faild to check XML syntax (well-formedness)
correctly.  The result is even worse for "valid" documents.

That's still the case with the Validator 0.8.1 release.  Try something like
the following:

<?xml version="1.1"?>
<!DOCTYPE あ。[
<!ELEMENT あ。 EMPTY>
]>
<あ。/>

This is a valid XML 1.1 document, but the Validator emits even more
bogus error messages.