RE: Validator case-sensitive bug for CHARSET?

It's very clear that the charset tags themselves are case-insensitive,
i.e. US-ASCII is as good as us-ascii is as good as uS-aSCii or any
other variant. It's also clear that for HTML, element and attribute
names are case-insensitive.

The question is whether the charset parameter on the Content-Type
HTTP header is case-sensitive or case-insensitive. Olivier earlier
said that he wasn't able to find anything relevant in the HTTP spec,
but I found this at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt:

3.7 Media Types

   HTTP uses Internet Media Types [17] in the Content-Type (section
   14.17) and Accept (section 14.1) header fields in order to provide
   open and extensible data typing and type negotiation.

       media-type     = type "/" subtype *( ";" parameter )
       type           = token
       subtype        = token

   Parameters MAY follow the type/subtype in the form of attribute/value
   pairs (as defined in section 3.6).

   The type, subtype, and parameter attribute names are case-
   insensitive. Parameter values might or might not be case-sensitive,
   depending on the semantics of the parameter name.

"charset" is a parameter attribute name, and therefore case-insensitive.
Section 3.7 is clearly referenced from Section 14.7:

14.17 Content-Type

   The Content-Type entity-header field indicates the media type of the
   entity-body sent to the recipient or, in the case of the HEAD method,
   the media type that would have been sent had the request been a GET.

       Content-Type   = "Content-Type" ":" media-type

   Media types are defined in section 3.7. An example of the field is

   Further discussion of methods for identifying the media type of an
   entity is provided in section 7.2.1.

Olivier said that "the rest of HTTP constructs" are case-sensitive,
but this is not true. Methods such as GET and PUT are case-sensitive,
but most of the other stuff is not because it was taken over from
email, where it is also not case-sensitive.

Regards,     Martin.s