Re: Validator case-sensitive bug for CHARSET?

From: <invalid@csc.jp>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 17:48:27 +0900
To: www-validator@w3.org

olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org> wrote:

> This is the first time I run into this issue. Looking at the HTTP
> specification (which HTML normatively refers to for the http-equiv
> meta information) I was unable to find precisely whether the
> "charset=" string was case-sensitive or not, but lacking any mention,
> I will assume that it is case sensitive, as is the rest of HTTP
> constructs.

3.7 Media Types

   HTTP uses Internet Media Types [17] in the Content-Type (section
   14.17) and Accept (section 14.1) header fields in order to provide
   open and extensible data typing and type negotiation.

       media-type     = type "/" subtype *( ";" parameter )
       type           = token
       subtype        = token

   Parameters MAY follow the type/subtype in the form of attribute/value
   pairs (as defined in section 3.6).

   The type, subtype, and parameter attribute names are case-
   insensitive. Parameter values might or might not be case-sensitive,
   depending on the semantics of the parameter name. (...)