Re: <html> change

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 07:33:18 +0100
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>
To: Martin Baird <chuzza62@ntlworld.com>

On 6 Aug 2007, at 19:52, Martin Baird wrote:
> a month ago a document with a root element of <html> passed Xhtml
> validation, now it requires

Technically, it has always required the xmlns attribute, but a bug in
the validator meant that it wasn't flagged when the attribute was
missing. I believe this was mentioned under the "Limitations of XML
support" link that appeared on the validator results page for XML
documents. That bug was fixed in the last major release.

> I am writing pages for a website of 100 plus pages which I am
> trying to
> bring in line with W3c XHTML recommenndations, now most of the
> corrections
> are incorrect because you are moving the goal posts and your
> validation on
> my pages is incorrect.

The goal posts aren't moving, just the ability of the Markup
Validator to detect where a page is relative to them.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/