Namespace confusion

From: <invalid@csc.jp>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 23:41:32 +0900
To: www-validator@w3.org

Related to the Root Element problems [1], the Validator is also
confusing namespaces.  When it checks the following XML
document:

====================
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<A><a xmlns="http://example.org/a"/></A>
====================

The result page says:

    Root Element:  a
    Root Namespace:  http://example.org/a

But with the following document:

====================
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<B><a xmlns="http://example.org/a"/></B>
====================

It says:

    Root Element:  b
    Other Namespaces  - http://example.org/a

Looks like in the former case, the Validator correctly recognized
the "A" element as the root element but since it incorrectly
treated element names case-insensitively, it confused
the "A" element with the "a" element, thereby got the namespace
wrong.  I haven't looked into the relevant code closely, but I guess
fixing the Root Element problems could also fix this confusion.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2007Aug/0041