Re: XHTML Family Document Types and the validator

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:59:03 -0400
Cc: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>, www-validator@w3.org
To: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>

On Apr 29, 2007, at 19:11 , Shane McCarron wrote:
> All XHTML family docment types should be processed using the XML
> parsing mode of the validator.  There is never a case where the
> SGML parsing mode would work, since all the DTDs are XML DTDs, not

I'm really glad to read this. A long time ago, I was made rather
confused by
and the following claims made by some in e.g
that it meant the validator should not use its XML parsing mode to
process XHTML 1.0 when served as text/html.

This left me extremely puzzled for a long time because:
* I never found any definition of "treat as HTML", nor any indication
it was relevant to conformance checking/validation
* the SGML parsing mode would not work with the XML DTDs, anyway.

So your clarification is extremely valuable, thank you.