Re: Validator Test

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 09:53:55 +0100
To: Greg Sabin <movingpictures4u@yahoo.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org, Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 11:41:14PM -0700, Greg Sabin wrote:

> well the big problem on microsoft office live

I've never heard of Microsoft Office Live. It appears to be a hosting
service. A short look doesn't tell me if they force their own CMS on
you, or modify your pages (e.g. with advertising) after uploading,
etc, etc.

> is the meta tags are built in to the page so their code can not be
> entered exactly where they want it, so they find it and say it in
> the wrong place . and then say page errors are to blame , but as i
> said on a new page even when it is empty the validator says their
> are errors and i have no access to root or base programming , i can
> only add content,

So it sounds like:

* You have webpage

* Third party A provides hosting with restrictions that include
  invalid code

* This party B provides code and instructions for using it. Said
  instructions cannot be followed due to the restrictions imposted by
  Third party A.

If I were in this position, I would switch away from Third party A as
quickly as possible.

>  so then what google and W3 are implying is all the code written by
> microsoft in microsoft office live must be wrong , and so its either
> that or the valadator is wrong ,

Microsoft's track record for producing quality code is not good. Their
track record for producing tools that build quality code is worse.

> so it can not be me , as new pages only have what content microsoft
> puts into them , so their is a problem some where , and the only way
> to get it fixed is to track down where it is .  ok I just created a
> page and put in no content , please test this page and tell me where
> microsoft went wrong, please
> http://alien-computer.org/W3testpage.aspx this could help fix this
> problem

Identifying where code authors have gone wrong is the purpose of the
validator. http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Falien-computer.org%2FW3testpage.aspx&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1
shows the errors in the page.