Re: [ANN] Beta test of the W3C Markup Validator (0.8.0 beta 1)

On Apr 24, 2007, at 19:46 , Sam Ruby wrote:
> By not positively asserting that it accepts XHTML, it is
> pedantically applying a rule in a way that penalizes those that are
> attempting to do the right thing in the face of indifference and
> inaction by the vendor of the dominant browser.

Calling the application of the rule "pedantic" is rather disingenuous.
I agree with you on the fact that validator should send accept
headers (see [1]), but it doesn't change the fact that serving XHTML
1.1 as text/html, in *any* circumstance, is wrong. If one wants text/
html, there's XHTML 1.0 with HTML compat guidelines

--
olivier