Re: [ANN] Beta test of the W3C Markup Validator (0.8.0 beta 1)

Hi Olivier!

Am 24.04.2007 um 12:14 schrieb olivier Thereaux:

> The rule for XHTML 1.1 is that it should always be served as
> application/xhtml+xml. The technique you are using, to serve it
> conditionally as text/html, goes against that rule.

I want to use XHTML 1.1, and I want to serve the apropriate MIME type
to all browsers, which do suffice these standards requirements and
who support this MIME type. So the only web browser, who is served
with "text/html" seems to be the Internet Explorer (which has got a
lower priority in my concerns, but that is another debate). per
default, I serve the .html-Suffix as "text/html", if the client/web
browser does supply "application/xhtml+xml", it will be delivered
with that MIME type. If the client/web browser doesn't supply this
MIME type, then it will be served as "text/html".

My question is: why doesn't the validator catch that MIME type, that
is served as "text/html" but re-written to "application/xhtml+xml"? I
must assume, that the current validator 0.8 beta doesn't send an
Accept-Header, so that the Rewrite-Rule has no chance to work.
If I am right, why doesn't validator 0.8 beta send an Accept-Header,
and would'nt it be better to do so?
If validator 0.8 beta *does* send an Accept-Header, why doesn't my
rewrite-rule work as it works with other user agents like Firefox,
Opera and Safari?

Sierk

--
Sierk Bornemann