Re: Feature request: validation by snippet

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:58:38 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>, Stephanie Troeth <steph@unadorned.org>

On Apr 11, 2007, at 04:21 , Frank Ellermann wrote:
>   With my browser "xhtml 1.0" and "HTML 4.01"
> have no effect, looking in the source, it requires JavaScript :-(

It looks like I forgot to send an update on this. The validator now
in beta test (see [1]) does not use scripting any more for this
feature - the enclosing of the snippet is done on the server side.

I personally much prefered the script-based version because it
allowed the user to add the "snippet" in any part of the document
(not necessarily in the body) and had the benefit of giving the
boilerplate for an easy copy-paste, but given the feedback received,
I guess I am not representative of the user base for such a feature.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2007Apr/0074.html

--
olivier