Re: Validator complains because it cannot determine validation mode from document type

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 09:07:37 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>

Le 6 avr. 2007 à 07:52, Shane McCarron a écrit :
> as we all know, lots of XHTML 1 documents get served as text/html
> when in fact they are really well-formed, valid XML.

It doesn't matter :) Again the example of source code below.

>> Imagine you want to serve the source code of this document sending
>> it then as text/plain.  With the above reasoning, it would mean
>> that we do not respect the intent of the author.
>>
>> If you send it as text/html, it is HTML
>> If you send it as application/xhtml+xml it is xml
> If you send it as text/html, it *might* be XHTML.

The fact that "it might be" is not relevant here BUT... (follow me a
bit more)

> Since we tell people they can do that.  So, since we tell them
> that, we should at least provide some way to help them validate
> things that they serve up as that.  Maybe we do this already and I
> don't know where the control is.

What we could do, but we have to see with olivier and public-qa-dev
community, is to have an additional option:

* Validate this document with this mime-type
    - text/html
    - application/xhtml+xml
    - etc.

There are options for encodings and document types already, look at
the validator right now and [beta][1]. It complicates a bit more and
might lead to usability problems. We, all of us, have to think about it.

But in the case it would be a reasonable option, as you proposed
earlier for RDFa, would you be  ready to develop the perl code for it?

Many thanks

[1]: http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/detailed.html#validate-by-uri

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***