Validator complains because it cannot determine validation mode from document type

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 10:27:11 -0500
To: www-validator@w3.org

I am developing some new content for the XHTML 2 working group at
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Drafts/Overview.html

When attempting to validate this, the validator complains that the
referenced DOCTYPE, admittedly a private, contrived markup language that
the validator does not know about explicitly, is being served as
text/html and it cannot decide how to parse it.

Now... I know that I could change the rules so that a requestor who
accepts application/xhtml+xml would get the document with that media
type, but...  I think of the document starts off with an "xml"
declaration, e.g., <?xml ... ?>, then the validator should assume that
the document is to be validated in XML mode.

Am I missing something here?