Re: WHY not allowtransparency attribute?? please explain

Dear Clifton,

On Sep 17, 2006, at 19:48 , Clifton Grep wrote:
> I really dont undersand why you guys do not allow the
> allowtransparency attribute! (in XHTML transitional)

First, we need to clarify what "you" in "you do not allow the
allowtransparency attribute" is.

* given that you sent this mail to the mailing-list for the markup
validator users, I suspect you first meant "why doesn't the validator
accept this attribute". The answer is simple: the validator checks
document against the standard grammars, and if the attribute is not
in the language, it's not accepted.

* the next question obviously is "why isn't this attribute in the
standardized language". This question is off-topic for this forum,
and I would recommend that you contact the W3C working-group
responsible for the XHTML1 recommendation at www-html@w3.org.

Just be aware that what gets into a W3C recommendation (and what is
left out) is not arbitrary: there is a (long) process of building
consensus between all actors involved in the technology (including
the browser makers you were mentioning in your message), and a large-
scale feedback system whereby anyone is welcome to suggest
improvements. And while I am not familiar with how it was decided to
leave the allowtransparency attribute out of XHTML1 (after it was
added as a proprietary attribute by Microsoft in IE5, if my research
is correct), I suspect it was because, as a design principle, (X)HTML
elements and attributes are defining semantics, and styling is left
to CSS.

For more details, please ask the HTML mailing-lists.
Thank you.
--
olivier