value of attribute "ID" invalid: "_" cannot start a name

From: Phil Hadley <phil@philiphadley.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 18:50:52 -0600
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
I'm finding a potential problem with the HTML Validator.

All my ASP.NET (.aspx) pages fail to validate with the following error:

            value of attribute "ID" invalid: "_" cannot start a name

However, I have no control over this element on the page because it is
dynamically generated by ASP.NET.  Surely MS wouldn't generate HTML
pages that fail to validate.??

Interesting note: Even though these pages don't validate, they are
crawled and searchable on Google.

Phil