Re: New lineup of "valid" icons

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:56:49 +0900
Cc: www-validator Community <www-validator@w3.org>
To: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>

Hi Philip,

This is not really a question for this forum, so I am moving it to
www-validator, if you do not mind.

On Nov 16, 2006, at 01:20 , Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> Slightly confused by the HTML 4.0 / HTML 4.01 dichotomy :
> you offer distinct icons for both,

Yes, the two are available.

> the validator recognises only 4.01

No, the validator knows and recognises 4.0 as it has done for ages
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/dev/
tests/html40-strict.html;ss

> (from the drop-down list of the extended interface),

The drop-down list does not have exactly all supported document
types, but rather, we try to put there all document types for which
we think people may want to do an override. HTML 4.0 is not there,
perhaps an involuntary omission, in any case it makes sense to push
people to use 4.01 if they have not yet decided.

> and W3.ORG itself refers only
> to 4.0 on its HTML page (http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/),

Not sure where you saw that.
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/#html4
clearly talks about HTML 4.01, as latest version of HTML 4, and a
revision of the HTML 4.0
Recommendation.

regards,
--