[www-validator] <none>

Yep that sounds like a fair possibilty, according to the RFC2487
[http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=4287]  "3.1.1.2.  HTML"

However I'm finding it hard to explain why this would only kick an error
at the final position before a <title /> closing element - appearing to
be a "special case" makes me wonder about the parser instead of my
sanity ;-)

It's not possible to repro when the general <title /> element contains
A&amp;L within the content :

&amp; has to be at the last-but-one character position before the
clising tag to repro, and (apparently) only before the closing title
element to the exclusion of other elements.

Peculiar, isn't it ?
Cheers - Neil

For more information on Hargreaves Lansdown, visit our web site http://www.hargreaveslansdown.co.uk
IMPORTANT NOTICE
This email is intended solely for the recipient and is confidential and not for third party unauthorised distribution. If an addressing, or transmission, error has misdirected this email, please notify the author by replying to this email or notifying the system manager (internal.security@hargreaveslansdown.co.uk) if you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email.
Any opinions expressed in this document are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hargreaves Lansdown. In addition, staff are not authorised to enter into any contract through email and therefore nothing contained herein should be construed as such. This email has been prepared using information believed by the author to be reliable and accurate but Hargreaves Lansdown makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness. In particular, Hargreaves Lansdown does not accept responsibility for any changes made to this email after it was sent.
Hargreaves Lansdown Asset Management, Hargreaves Lansdown Fund Managers, Hargreaves Lansdown Pensions Direct and Hargreaves Lansdown Stockbrokers are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority and registered in England and the registered office is Kendal House, 4 Brighton Mews, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 2NX. Telephone: 0117 9889880