[VE][108] Context-dependent error messages

From: Mike Amling <mamling@rmcis.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:03:02 -0600
To: "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>

Validating http://www.rmcis.com/test/index.htm
Error [108]: "there is no attribute X"

  While I imagine it's easier for the programmers of the validator to put
out boilerplate, the users would be better served by some tailoring of the
error messages to the context.
  For instance, I'm rather surprised to be told "This error is often caused
by incorrect use of the 'Strict' document type with a document that uses
frames..." when using the XHTML 1.0 Transitional criteria on a page that has
no frames.
  And wouldn't it be nice to omit "Remember XHTML is all lower-case" when
the validator knows perfectly well that the attribute it pointed out,
"height", is indeed already lower case?

--Mike Amling