Confusion on Web site Errors

From: Chris Ballay <ballay05@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 17:34:06 -0800 (PST)
To: www-validator@w3.org
To Whom It May Concern:

  I currently own the web site MySportsHaven.com.  I was in the process of adding Google's Adsense to my site.  In order to add Adsense I have check my site for any errors.  So I went to the site and 33 errors came up for www.mysportshaven.com.  I am so lost on where to even begin as far as fixing these problems so I can finally get Adsense on my site.  I would very much appreciate your assistance during my time of need.  Here is an example of something confusing...

  Error Line 1 column 0: no document type declaration; implying "<!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM>".

<HTML>
    The checked page did not contain a document type ("DOCTYPE") declaration. The Validator has tried to validate with a fallback DTD, but this is quite likely to be incorrect and will generate a large number of incorrect error messages. It is highly recommended that you insert the proper DOCTYPE declaration in your document -- instructions for doing this are given above -- and it is necessary to have this declaration before the page can be declared to be valid.

  Now how am I suppose to know where this error is?  I am making my site through godaddy.com so you can understand the difficulty on know which page this error pertains to.  All it says is Line 1 Column 0.  I looked at your site's instructions on using the correct doc't type, but it was very hard to comprehend.  Again, I hope you can help as soon as possible.

  Thank you for your time,

  Chris Ballay

 Yahoo! Mail