Re: Error Message Feedback

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, Dean Bell (Volt) wrote:

> That my </HEAD> tag is already closed when
> it's not.

In HTML, the </HEAD> tag is optional.  It is implied by any tag that could
only appear in the BODY.  It's also implied by loose text in the HEAD.
Also note that XML-style empty tags of the form <foo /> have a different
meaning in HTML than in XHTML; using /> endings in the HEAD of an HTML
document will implicitly close the HEAD.

> 1.	Line 33 column 13: there is no attribute "NAME".
>
>        <form name="aspnetForm"
>
> "name" is very much an allowed attribute and required in my company.

The "name" attribute is not present for "form" in HTML 4.0, but it is
present in HTML 4.01.  If your DOCTYPE specifies HTML 4.0, change it to
4.01.

> 1.	Line 3086 column 40: an attribute value must be a literal unless
> it contains only name characters.

> cellspacing="0">
>
> It's my understanding that "100%" is a valid value for "width" and that
> quotes are not required.

"In certain cases, authors may specify the value of an attribute without
any quotation marks. The attribute value may only contain letters (a-z and
A-Z), digits (0-9), hyphens (ASCII decimal 45), periods (ASCII decimal
46), underscores (ASCII decimal 95), and colons (ASCII decimal 58). We
recommend using quotation marks even when it is possible to eliminate
them."
  http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2.2

Quotes are required for attribute values that include "%".

--
Liam Quinn