Re: Can't find doctype when validating HTML 4.01 strict DTD

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 17:37:40 +0900
Cc: WWW-Validator Community <www-validator@w3.org>
To: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>, Anne_M=FCller <amueller@viosys.com>

Anne, (Dave)

On 20 Jun 2006, at 17:17, Dave Raggett wrote:
> If you copy the HTML 4.01 Strict DTD from the spec into the
> validator form and try to validate it, you get a warning that no
> doctype was found followed by lots of resulting errors. This looks
> like a configuration problem.

Could you give a more precise example of what you're doing and what's
happening. Reading your mail, I first understood that you were trying
to validate the DTD, which makes no sense (and the validator would
just complain that the dtd is a text/plain resource anyway).

Hence, I suspect that you are talking about validating some document
that uses the HTML4 DTDs, but as far as I know, modulo a few bugs,
the validator knows how to handle these. So... are you talking about
a specific example of HTML 4 document in the HTML4 spec? If so, which?

Please give more details, or, even better, the URI of a document
you're trying to validate.

Thanks
--
olivier