Re: CheckLink 4.2.1 and using a HTTP Proxy

Hi Nikos,

On Jul 25, 2006, at 10:13 ,
Nicholas.Z.Gavriniotis@transport.qld.gov.au wrote:
> I am trying to set up the LinkChecker locally in my environment to
> do some
> diagnostic checks on the new front end for a company.
> Unfortunately, I
> have a problem with a proxy blocking the ability for external
> addresses to
> be resolved giving me many errors that I don't believe to be valid.

Just to be sure I understand your problem correctly: the link checker
is not using your network's proxy and therrefore some addresses don't
resolve, or does it use the proxy and have issues resulting to that?

If the former, I suspect that:
- enabling mod_env in your apache server (supposing that's what you
are using)
- using apache's SetEnv as follows in the configuration nearby that
of the link checker SetEnv http_proxy http://username:password@your-
proxy-host:port/

There should be nothing to add to the link checker code itself, the
release 4.2.1 already takes into account the proxy environment
variables.

> I am running the most recent version of the linkchecker (4.2.1) and
> I've
> read through a thread "Re: Local validator via proxy" from October
> 2004.

(for reference, that's http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-
validator/2004Oct/0106.html )

yes, that looks correct, minus the patch to the checklink script,
which is not necessary any more.

> This seemed useful but doesn't seem to address the problem that I
> have.

Could you give details how it "didn't work". Could you try modifying
your server configuration to set up the http_proxy environment
variable, restart apache, and see if it works better?

Thanks,
--
olivier