Re: Bug: Validator doesn't find error in document

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Thomas Kupka wrote:

> Please check out the URL: http://www.itchy.de/diverses/drecks_ie.html
>
> There is an error at the very end of line 34 - the <div> Tag is not closed
> properly - </div missing the right bracket.

It is not a syntax error by HTML specifications. By SGML rules (which
apply to HTML 4.01), the closing ">" can be omitted from a start tag when
it is followed by another tag. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/appendix/notes.html#h-B.3.3
(Note that the heading "SGML features with limited support" is an
euphemism for "SGML features that are formally part of HTML 4.01 but not
supported by practically any web browser". Also note that the expression
"closed Start Tag" there for this particular feature is wrong; the SGML
term is "unclosed start-tag"; see the SGML standard, i.e. ISO 8879, clause
7.4.1.)

> Still, the validator won't find any errors and tells me, this is valid HTML
> 4.01:

As it is. Whether browsers can cope with it is a different matter.

> In the source displayed by the validator, the error is at the end of line 31.

I'm not sure what you meant by "line 34" above. I think the validator
counts line correctly, i.e. the line you are referring to _is_ line 31.