Re: "Unknown Parse Mode!" when validating with DOCTYPE chosen to force STRICT mode in Mozilla

On Thursday 2006-07-13 23:15 +0100, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> What a shame that the W3C and the major browser vendors can't agree
> on something like a head-region pragmat to trigger standards mode,
> maybe along the lines of
>
> 	<!-- #PRAGMAT mode="Full-standards" -->
> 	<!-- #PRAGMAT mode="Almost-standards" -->
> 	<!-- #PRAGMAT mode="Quirks" -->

We don't want authors to be able to do the second or the third, since we
want as many pages as possible to be in standards mode (i.e., all
newly-created pages).  There are two ways for authors to do an
equivalent of the first:

 * <!DOCTYPE HTML>, if they weren't otherwise using a DOCTYPE
   declaration

 * add an empty internal subset to whatever doctype declaration they are
   otherwise using

-David