Re: "Unknown Parse Mode!" when validating with DOCTYPE chosen to force STRICT mode in Mozilla

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> That document does not give advice on how to trigger the Standards
> Mode. The document tells what Mozilla does.

I did append "/guidance" after "advice" to cover
other interpretations.  The introductory prose
says "The following trigger full standards mode:"
which I think one might reasonably interpret as
"guidance" if one wishes to trigger full standards
mode ...

> That is not the best practice for triggering the Standards Mode.
>
> The best practice is documented here:
> http://hsivonen.iki.fi/doctype/#choosing

Thank you : I will consult that reference immediately.

>> since we wish to avoid accidentally exploiting any of Mozilla's
>> "Almost Standards" behaviours.
>

> It appears that you want to DTD-validate as Transitional but you also
> want to specifically avoid activating the Almost Standards Mode. Why  do
> you want to be Transitional?

I don't "want" to be; I am forced to be, because my co-developer
is still using deprecated combinations of elements and attributes.

> You do realize that it is pretty hard to accidentally rely on the
> difference between the Standards Mode and the Almost Standards Mode
> unless your layouts involve placing sliced images in layout tables?

Not sure how to interpret this last, but I don't want to "rely on
the difference", but rather "rely on full standards compliance".

Philip Taylor