Re: Error Message Feedback

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:55:06 +0000
To: webmaster@amelox.com
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 15:40 -0800, webmaster wrote:

> 1)  I find that the validator does not like TABLE <CAPTION> (top and
> bottom) but, of course, it displays well with it.

The caption should appear immediately after the <table> tag.

> 2)  TABLE <HEADER> is supposedly illegal, but it works just fine.

The header section of a table should be represented by the <thead>
element.

> 3)  It also does not like TABLE BORDERCOLOR even though the color is
> displayed perfectly.

Specifying border colours is the job of CSS.

> 4)  The same goes for HR color.  I.E. displays the color even though the
> validator thinks its invalid.

Ditto.

> So how about bringing the validator up to the current standard?

Some browsers support non-standard proprietary extensions and can
recover from some errors introduced by authors. This does not make them
part of the standard. The current standard for HTML can be found at
http://w3.org/TR/html4/

(I read the mailing list, please address responses there and do not CC
me. Thank-you.)
--
David Dorward                           <http://dorward.me.uk/>
"Anybody remotely interesting is mad, in some way or another."