Re: Error Message Feedback: text/css not currently supported.

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:33:26 +0000
To: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org, HÃ¥kon Lie <howcome@opera.com>

On Monday 13 February 2006 16:22, Steven Pemberton wrote:

> Terje Bless wrote:
> >> It seems to me that it would be easy using the media type to direct
> >> files to the correct validator. As it is this message is misleading
> >> because the W3C validating service does support CSS.
> >
> > While there is, obviously, a W3C CSS validator, the W3C Markup Validation
> > Service does not, for obvious reasons, support checking CSS.
>
> I don't follow the "for obvious reasons".

How about "for practical reasons"?  The CSS validator is implemented in Java
and requires a whole different infrastructure to the HTML service.
A redirect to the CSS service works, but browsers are funny (both rightly
so and in terms of bugs) about redirecting POSTs.  So the only way to
integrate this transparently - short of total reimplementation - would be
to proxy the CSS service.  That's at best an additional load on the server.

Yes, a new CSS validator written in C or a scripting language has been
discussed - and we even made contact with the author of libcroco (the
most interesting-looking CSS library).  But noone has found time to hack it.

--
Nick Kew